Foil Art

My foil art

My foil art

In art class we learned how to make foil art. This is also called “tooling.” Here are some of the steps to make Foil Art or Tooling

1. You need hard foil to make foil art because I once tried it at home with regular foil but it did not work. Get the foil from your art teacher or if you have it at home.
  2. Make a design on piece of paper. Just a reminder be creative, make your own design! If you want you can copy other peoples but it is fun to make your own.
  3. When you`re done making the design tape all sides of the paper onto the foil. Be very careful of the sharp ends.
  4. Get three or four paper towels and put the foil on it. That way when you draw your design threw the foil it will go threw. If you don`t have the paper towels the foil will crack and mess up your design.
  5. Press over it with a pencil but not to hard.
  6. After your done carving the design into the foil take the tape off of the foil and take your paper off.
  7. When you take the paper off you will see your great design.
  8. If you want to you can trace over the foil with marker that will make you design stand out and give it some color.
  9. Last you sign your name at the bottom. Hope you have fun with the foil art.

I also did some foil art and here it is. I hope you enjoy it!

My Name tooled in foil

My Name tooled in foil

*

My snowflake that I made in art class

My snowflake that I made in art class

Here are some question that you can comment on:

What is your favorite kind of art?

Did you ever do foil art?

24 thoughts on “Foil Art

1. Dear Taylor,

Terrific blog already! I liked doing the tooling in art too. What was your favorite part about tooling? Mine was coloring it and pasting it onto the foil because I like the feeling when you copy it onto the foil. And it looks very nice when you put some color on it. If you could pick one of the drawings that you did what one would it be? My favorite is the “tooling” one because it shows a lot of work in it and it looks great… But they are all AWESOME!

From your friend,
    Cassidy* πŸ™‚

• Dear Cassidy,

Thank you for the wonderful comment! My favorite part of doing the tooling was coloring it with a sharpie marker. I did it on the silver because if you did it on the blue side it wouldn’t really show up.

Thank you for the compliment! Happy Blogging!

Your Friend,
      Taylor πŸ™‚

• Dear Taylor,

You’re welcome. Yes, the silver would be the best one to do because it is more light so then you can see the sharpie better!

From,
        Cassidy* πŸ™‚

2. Dear Taylor,

I have done foil art seven times before and I like foil are a lot. I have made a snowflake, sunflake, dog, my name, a cat, and a crazy design.

I really like to do foil art but I also like another type of art called sand art. You can make a design you would make with foil art with sand on a piece of scrap paper and then retrace it on a nicer piece of paper. Then you trace your second design with glue and add different colors of faux sand, one type of faux sand, or even real sand! If you let it dry for 1 day, then it will be very dry and it will also be a very pretty piece of artwork.

From your classmate,
    Margot* πŸ™‚

• Dear Margot,

Thank you for the wonderful comment! In art class we did do the sand art it was very fun! Your right it does turn out as a beautiful piece of artwork. I can see you have done a lot of Foil art (Tooling). I have a question for you: what was your favorite part of the Foil art? Happy Blogging!

From,
      Taylor πŸ™‚

3. Dear Taylor,

Wow! What a terrific new blog! I can’t wait to share it with my students! πŸ™‚

I love your new post about foil art. When I was little, I was fascinated with foil. In fact, I used to make all kinds of sculptures with it. One time, I made a little angel with a long flowing dress and wings. She sat in our kitchen for a long time! Another time, I made little foil snowflakes…since it never snowed in California, I made my own!

Have you ever done any sculpting?

Your pal,
    Mrs. Y♥llis
    California

• Dear Mrs. Yollis,

Thank you for the wonderful comment! I can’t believe you can make sculptures out of foil. I wish I could see some of your sculptures! I bet they look amazing! Thank you for the compliment! Happy Blogging!

Your Buddy,
      Taylor πŸ™‚

4. Dear Taylor,

Fantastic job on your new blog! You have put a lot of work into it and it shows. I’m sure you will get lots of comments because you are such a good commenter on other blogs.

I have actually never done foil tooling, but I would sure like to try. I think I would like the part where you copy the design onto the foil because I think it would feel cool to press down into the stiff foil. I really like your snowflake with all the different shapes and spirals.

My favorite type of art to do is drawing with special sketching pencils. I love watercolor too, but it is hard to fix “mistakes” in watercolor and it’s easy to erase with graphite pencils.

Keep up the wonderful work!

Your proud teacher,
    Mr. Salsich

• Dear Mr. Salsich,

Thank you for the wonderful comment! I also like doing watercolor’s but you are right it is hard to fix mistakes. If you try the foil art I am sure you will like it! Thank you for the great compliments! Happy Blogging!

Your student,
      Taylor πŸ™‚

5. Dear Taylor
    I am always on the look-out for great art ideas, and I am looking forward to trying foil art soon! Thank you for your advice.

I guess We would have to be careful about which markers we use n the foli, so that it doesn’t just rub off!

Congratulations on starting your blog. I think you will find it a lot of fun.

from Mrs McKenzie

• Dear Mrs. MacKenzie,

Thank you for the wonderful comment! I am sure that you will have a lot of fun with the art. If your class does the art project with you I hope they have a lot of fun too!

Happy Blogging!

From,
      Taylor πŸ™‚

6. Dear Taylor,

We really liked the post and your foil art. It was very pretty.
    We have done foil art before, in art class. We like it a lot! Our favorite kind of art is abstract or doodling. Do you like abstract?
    We also like your blog so far it is really good. We are hoping to see more posts soon! πŸ™‚

From,
    *Alexandra + *Autumn πŸ™‚

• Dear Alexandra and Autumn,

Thank you for the wonderful comment! I have a question for you two: What was your favorite part of the foil art? Thank you for those two great compliments!

From,
      Taylor πŸ™‚

7. Dear Taylor,

Congratulations on your new blog! Your foil art was terrific. I think it was in second grade when we did foil art also but it was the sun faces. It looks like you put a lot of work into your post. it must have taken a long time. Your directions were great.

πŸ™‚ From
    your classmate Sam K.

• Dear Sam K.,

Thank you for the wonderful comment! Yes it has taken me a lot of time to do this post but writing the directions were very easy I finished them in 1 day so I did it pretty fast. Thank you for the compliments!

From,
      Taylor πŸ™‚

• Dear Taylor,

You are good at replying back to people. I checked every comment and your comment was under theirs replying back. I would like to have my own blog, but I’m happy for you that you could get your own. I like the name of your blog Taylor’s Terrific Blog it sounds good.

πŸ˜‰ From,
        Sam K.

8. Dear Taylor,

Terrific post! I love doing foil art in art class. So I thought I’d check out your post. Your foil art is great and nice job giving the directions.

I like decorating the foil with markers and pushing the design into the foil. The designs I like are putting swirls and waves into mine. What do you like putting on yours? I also like hearts and flowers and diamond in the center.

Happy Blogging! πŸ™‚

Your friend,
    Amanda πŸ™‚

• Dear Amanda,

Thank you for the wonderful comment! My favorite part was putting the color into it. I like to put all kinds of crazy stuff on my art. Thank you for the great compliments! Happy Blogging!

From,
      Taylor πŸ™‚

9. Dear Taylor,

You have a wonderful blog ! I love foil tooling. I remember making it in art class! last year I made a sun and this year I made a snowflake. I tried doing it at home with heavy duty tinfoil and it worked so when you made it you probably did it with regular tinfoil. When I saw you making it in class I was wondering what it was for. So you left me in suspense.

It must have taken a long time to make a blog because you took a week just to make one post! so I can’t imagine making a whole blog . I like your posts because they are very unique. Keep coming up with great post ideas. Happy blogging ! πŸ™‚

From you friend,

Maggie πŸ™‚ *

• Dear Maggie,

Than you for the wonderful comment! I remeber making the sunflakes last year those are just like our snowflakes.

It does take a long time to make a blog you have to work on it a lot it takes a while.
      Thank you for the great compliments! Happy Blogging!

From,
      Taylor πŸ™‚

10. Taylor,

What an exciting new blog! I’ve just added it to my favorites so I can come read it all the time!

I’ve never done foil art but it looks like a very fun project. I’m sure my students would love to make something like that. I might try to use it in some sort of project in class. Thanks for the idea!

I love art. At first I didn’t go to college to become a teacher. I actually went for computer animation. I wanted to work at Disney to make movies like Finding Nemo. Now I just love to draw and paint. I’m not quite as good as Mr. Salsich but I still try! My favorite are acrylics (paint) and charcoal (draw).

Keep up the great work!

Your blogging buddy,
    Mr. Avery

• Dear Mr. Avery,

Thank you for the wonderful comment! I am sure you are excellent at art. And two days ago I added you on my class blog. If you do my activity that I recommended I am sure that you will have fun with it. And if you do it with your students I also hope that they have fun too. It is a very fun project I think you should try it. Happy Blogging!

From,
      Taylor πŸ™‚

11. Dear Taylor,

Hi! You have an awesome blog:) What is it like to have your own blog? I love tin foil art! I made a tin foil owl once. Have you ever made a tin foil animal? Its really fun to be blogging with you! Hope to here from you soon!

From,
    Amanda in Mr. Avery’s class:)

12. Hello, My name is Natalie. I am 10 years old and I live in Australia. I read your post about foil art and I really think your foil art is really pretty and cool! I don’t have a favourite type of art because I like lots. Also I have never done foil art in Australia and I think it is really fun and a creative way to do art. Do you like your school? What are your favourite subjects? What are your favourite hobbies? My favourite subjects are drama, library and art. My favourite hobbies are reading books, playing the piano, drama and playing netball. At the moment I am reading Nanny Piggins and the Accidental Blastoff. What book are you reading?